Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Getting Older is Easier for Veterans Thanks to Assisted Living Benefits


Getting old is expensive. We tend to develop medical conditions that require costly maintenance and treatment, such as tests, lab work and medications. Some seniors develop memory issues or mobility problems and require 24/7 care. While some are fortunate enough to be cared for by loved ones, most end up in a nursing home or assisted living facility. Such living options can cost tens of thousands of dollars a year.

The good news is that veterans have access to programs and benefits that can reduce their financial responsibility. These benefits are available to veterans and their spouses to cover the costs of assisted living.

The benefits a veteran will receive will depend on their eligibility and service history. While the Department of Veterans Affairs will not cover one’s rent to live in a facility, it will cover many extras, such as meals and assistance with bathing and toileting. This is similar to the coverage provided by Medicare.

Aid & Attendance and Housebound

These are two separate benefits that are connected to each other. You must be eligible to receive a pension in order to receive these benefits. These benefits are paid in addition to the pension. Depending on length of service and other factors, a single veteran could receive up to $1,881 per month under the Aid & Attendance pension. A married veteran can receive a monthly benefit of as much as $2,230.

In order to receive Aid & Attendance benefits, you must meet one of several conditions:

  • Require assistance with eating, dressing, bathing or toileting
  • Require nursing home care due to a mental or physical disability
  • Severe disability to the point that you are bedridden
  • Very poor eyesight (corrected eyesight of 5/200 or less in both eyes)

On top of these benefits, you may also receive Housebound benefits. This is an additional monthly payment given to those who have a permanent disability that requires them to be confined to their house or other residence. Approval is on a case-by-case basis, with the VA performing a thorough review.

If you have suffered a serious disability, you will want to know if you are eligible for Aid & Attendance and Housebound benefits. Applications for Aid & Attendance and Housebound benefits are processed by each state’s Pension Management Center. You will need to complete an application and gather documents, such as discharge documents and financial statements. Mail them in to your state’s Pension Management Center to see if you qualify. This process can be complicated, so it may be beneficial to hire a lawyer experienced in filing benefits claims.

Contact Us for More Information About VA Benefits

Aging is never easy. As they get older, people develop health problems, memory issues and a loss of mobility. If you require assisted living, veterans are entitled to benefits that can help.

Many veterans are underserved. Don’t miss out. White Plains veterans benefits attorney Michael Lawrence Varon can help you file claims and get the benefits you deserve. To schedule a consultation, call 914-294-2145.




Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Translate »